Written by: Lisa Morrissey, Director of Marketing and Communications & Secretary of The Toolbox, Inc. and Speaker at the October 22 Non-profit Toolbox event.
Securing, engaging and building a lasting relationship with your sponsors requires sponsor-centric strategy and execution. Some strategies to consider when preparing your organization’s sponsorship development plan:
- Before asking a prospective sponsor for their support, consider whether your event, project and/or organization are a good match. Is the prospective sponsor located in the same community as your organization? Is your organization’s cause and/or the people you serve something that the prospective sponsor is passionate about supporting?
- Provide tiered offerings that take into consideration the unique promotional needs of your potential sponsors. Would some prospective sponsors benefit from visibility on your website and other marketing initiatives? Would others want the opportunity to network with your other sponsors and supporters? Might others want to participate by providing volunteers for an event or on an ongoing basis?
- Make it simple for your sponsors and supporters to give. Can your sponsors donate on-line? Through the mail? Over the telephone? Can they use a credit card and obtain airline or other benefits from their credit card company?
- Educate your sponsors about your organization and, most importantly, about who or what their sponsorship will help. Take the time to share with sponsors what it is that your organization does and who or what it serves. The more connected your sponsors feel to your organization, the more likely they will be to spread the word about your organization and to give again.
- Prepare and execute a comprehensive follow-up and thank you plan. Immediately following your event, personally thank each of your sponsors and give them a recap of how it went. Provide sponsors with updates on your project and/or the individuals who benefited from their sponsorship. Brainstorm a special and memorable way to thank all major sponsors.
There are many organizations and causes to support, so it is important that your organization provides its sponsors with the best possible sponsor experience!
OCTOBER 22 SEMINAR
Thursday 10.22.09 /8:00AM-12:30PM
The Non-Profit Toolbox’ Seminar
has all of the tools you need!
Holiday Inn / 929 Hingham St / Rockland, MA 02370
$129 Registration [Early Bird $99] → LEARN MORE